Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Zealous for the Charismatic

You might say that over the last several months this label has described me. I first became a "charismatic" or "continuationist" about six years ago when I was nineteen years old. It happened when I realized that I wanted to pursue the pastoral ministry. I toured a small Baptist college and took some literature home with me (I didn't realize it at the time, but I strongly suspect that college to have been independent fundamentalist baptist).

My dad noticed a rather strong statement against speaking in tongues. Basically, if a student either spoke in and/or encouraged others to speak in tongues, they would be kicked out of school. This, along with another baptist man I knew who encouraged me to read John MacArthur's book Charismatic Chaos, sent me on a search through the Scriptures to determine whether or not the "gift of tongues" was for today. Long story short, I came to believe and realize that tongues had not ceased and was still a gift being given today. Needless to say I had to find another college to attend.

I soon came to Trinity College of Florida and there also ran into the question of the "miraculous" gifts of the Holy Spirit. I and a few other students and professors firmly believed in them while others were either completely cessationist (believing that they were not for today, although there were relatively few) or among the "open but cautious" crowd that still bothers me to no end.

Anyway, over the last six years I have thoroughly studied, doubted, reaffirmed, refined, and repeated the process over these gifts of the Holy Spirit. I am not an "expert", but I know what the Scriptures say and I have experienced many of these things in my life.

It's interesting to me that other related issues would present themselves. Since 2003, I have studied, discussed, and come to affirm other things like signs and wonders, dreams and visions, the Ephesians 4 ministries, Acts as prescriptive and not merely descriptive, manifestations of the Holy Spirit, and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as experiential.

I should however say that I don't believe it is enough simply to theoretically or theologically affirm them without actually seeking them. This is reductionistic and out of step with what Scripture teaches (1 Corinthians 14:1 for example on prophecy). This is what drives me crazy over the "open but cautious" camp or even charismatic fellowships that confess it but leave it there and don't actually do anything about it. I have come to believe that it is important to contend for the overtly supernatural ministry of the Holy Spirit and to actively seek it for God's glory and in conformity to Scripture.

That being said I wish to clearly spell out what I believe about the charismatic. Some might need further clarification, but for now here they are. I believe:

-That all of the gifts and offices of the Holy Spirit mentioned in the New Testament are still valid for today and will not cease or disappear until Jesus returns to earth (1 Corinthians 13:8-12; Ephesians 4:9-16).

-The gift of prophecy in the New Testament is not entirely the same as that in the OT, but not entirely different either. The difference is more of function than nature. This may require further clarification in the future.

-Prophetic gifts, dreams and visions, and the like are no threat to the sufficiency of Scripture or Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone).

-These gifts and offices are given by the risen and reigning Christ as signs of the present and advancing Kingdom of God (1 Corinthians 12:4-11; Ephesians 4:9-16)

-We should pray expectantly for healing (James 5:14-18).

-Demons are still active in the world today although Satan and his demons were dealt a decicive blow at the cross. The casting out of demons is still a ministry needed today and serves as a sign of the present Kingdom of God (Matthew 12:28; Mark 16:17-18; John 14:12)

-The office of Apostle is still functioning. Apostles are church planters, provide oversight to clusters of churches, and often take the Gospel to unreached people groups (Ephesians 4:9-16; pretty much the entire book of Acts).

-We should seek, pray for, and expect God to confirm the Gospel through signs and wonders (Mark 16:17-18; John 14:12)

-God still speaks through dreams and visions (Acts 2:15-21)

-The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is experiential although ideally part of the conversion process (Acts 2:2-4; 8:14-17; 9:17-18; 10:44-46; 19:1-6; this also requires some further clarification, which I will provide sometime).

-All of the gifts should be pursued and practiced by the Church for the upbuilding of the Body of Christ and furthering its unity, especially the gift of prophecy and the gift/office of apostle(1 Corinthians 14:1;39; Ephesians 4:9-16)

-Narrative portions of Scripture, and especially Acts can serve as a paradigm for normal Christian experience (Romans 15:4; 1 Corinthians 10:6; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; James 5:16b-18)

-All things should be done decently and in order (1 Corinthians 14:39). Decency and orderliness are not unclear. There is little distinction between "God's order" and human order. That said however, orderliness and not always clean and neat or easily explainable.

Well there you have it. I'm sure someone won't like what I've written but as Martin Luther so eloquently put it centuries ago: "My conscience is captive to the Word of God...to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment